Freitag, 15. Juni 2018

Marengo 14.06.1800

Hi guys,

I now I am a day too late. But Frank had a secret, sculpting a special unit which should hit the public on the aniversary of the battle.

But with the beginning of the World-Championship yesterday I had other things in mind than checking my mails....

So here I can show you the latest set in our range of the French Revolution - French 9th light infantry in the campaign of 1800. Here Frank's text:


Here are my Incomperables in 1:72
In my research, since I've been working on Napoleonic uniforms for over half a year, I came across the illustrious Osprey Campaign book "The Battle of Marengo" by David Hollins, and Terry Crowdy's book "Incomperables", in which there is a detailed report of the combat action around the 9th light infantry.
So, after my firing fusilliers for the Armée d'Orient, I had left the prepared dollies. Well, a few years ago, a well known colleague modeled firing Fusiliers, so I thought how about light infantry with the shortened uniform and bicorn? Anyway I think bicorns are looking more appealing than shakos; these bicorns in combination with the shortened uniform jacket- according to my educated guess ca. 1796-1800.

The famous painting by Lejeune, which depicts the ranks of the 9th light infantry shortly before the decisive attack at Marengo, shows the shakos, which are quite possible in that time, but you can always expect anachronisms in such paintings. By the way, Coucelle and Funcken also interpreted the shakos for 1800, while André Jouineau portrays light infantry for 1800 with the bicorn and partly with a long-cut uniform jacket on his boards. Christa Hook also draws the bicorn, but in combination with the short-cut uniform jacket. For example, Carl Achard even draws the 14e Legères around 1800 with the long-cut uniform jacket and mirliton.
Another rather naïve depiction (Cronaca Rovatti?), which I found in the www, with no further information except the year 1800, represents the short-cut uniform and the bicorn; in a front view it is the blue French light infantry uniform, the rear view is a dark green uniform, presumably the Legion Italique in ca. 1800, but the bicorn without any plume ...
Also, I knew this uniform of reenactment videos on Youtube from the 9e demi-brigade de infanterie legére, and I know a three rank stripes-veteran of them.
With the backpacks, I went a bit away from the stylization, the soldiers in appez des armes, have, as often seen on reenactment photos, back down creasing backpacks, because they had no stiffenings. Then, every third figure got a pair of overpants instead of the tight-fitting light infantry trousers with short gaiters. Another variation is represented by the bottles; calabases, tin canteens and braided in bottles.
From a modeling point of view, most of the heads have been given more uniform proportions by a stamp for the face - giving me more time to devote myself to individual physiognomy.
With these figures, of course, the bicorn is the individual detail that I particularly like. So, for example, we have the four different types in apprez des armes which have their individual style wearing the bicorn; maybe with the next figures, the loading ones, I will sculp an additional firing rifleman with another slanted seated bicorn.
But we will see, what's next; these incomperables are missing commando figures etc. too....
Greetings
Frank





3 Kommentare:

  1. They are lovely, congratulations (and thanks) Frank.
    Uniforms are always a moot point and when someone says with confidence that 'they wore such and such', they are not likely to be taking account of factors such as delay between regulations and adoption, poor supplies, colonel's preference, wear and tear, collecting items from a battlefield and so forth.
    Hats and short coats provide some as-yet unavailable options in 1/72nd.

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Very nice. The HaT bicorn fi.gures are very poor so my early war armies have stalled. Once you get the command figures etc to complete the range I will be buying these. Thank you for taking so much time and effort to get them looking right

    Marc

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. I am no expert on figures, so gamers can tell you about that. I presume from the reference to Christa’s picture that you mean the original cover of the Osprey - I should say that was all Terry Cowdy’s work, not mine! Anyway, good luck in your efforts as I think there is more interest in the earlier period. I hope everyone enjoys Terry’s book on Marengo, which is just ten days away from launch. Best regards, Dave

    AntwortenLöschen