Dienstag, 15. Februar 2011

Crimean Turks from Hank

Yesterday night I got a mail from Hank who already painted 200 of our Crimean Turkish infantry for his Russo-Turkish war (sometimes called Crimean war :-))  diorama. And this is just the beginning!


In the Crimea there were just a few Turkish troops as most of the fighting was at the Danube and at the Asian front around Kars. So we have just a small corps at the Alma and Balaclava and some tough guys at Eupatoria.

The Crimea can really be seen as a sideshow of the war. Of course not for the British and French! But I think it is amazing what stuff you can scratch together when reading old books and making research in the archives of other nations. I have the luck to have some friends in Turkey and Russia. Beside this there is a lot of German texts and books covering the war from a more neutral point of view. And here the Turks got all the honour they deserve.
The war was fought from 1853 to 1856, long before the allies landed and again several month longer after they departed from the Crimea and is full of battles and actions you usually not read in english books on the subject. 

I am glad that Hanks shares my enthusiasm for the subject. I already thought about publishing a book for historians and wargamers about the Turkish part of the war when we have finished the research. In the meantime I just enjoy Hank's diorama and I hope you do the same.
















Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen